Gender Health (Women and Men)
- Osteoporosis management:
- Comprehensive education and programming based on Sara Meeks’ “Stand Tall” and “Walk Tall” physical therapy program.
- Urinary Incontinence management:
- 11 years of proven results using education, electrical stimulation, home units, and biofeedback as needed. No gimmicks! Just results.
- Women AND men – we don’t discriminate
“Your gender health specialists are amazing! I can’t thank you enough for helping with my urgency problem. My therapist changed my diet and it changed EVERYTHING. I can’t tell you what a difference this has made in my life.” -Kathe M.
- Post-mastectomy program:
- Intensive manual therapy program using specific myofascial techniques to reduce cording, restore shoulder function, prepare tissue for re-construction
- Muscle re-education following re-construction
- Programming for CRF (Cancer-Related Fatigue)
- Treatment for pain and loss of arm mobility
- Lymphedema management
“After my mastectomy, I had problems with my skin, swelling, shoulder movement, pain – you name it – it hurt! I can’t believe what a difference seeing a physical therapist made. My whole life is better, and I am back to work, lifting my daughter, and I feel normal again. I just wish I had started sooner. Thank you for helping me see myself as a whole person again…better than ever!” Karen G., 2012
- Pelvic pain:
- Specialists in managing complex conditions such as vaginismus, bladder prolapse, post-surgical complications, sacroiliac dysfunction and more
- Prostatitis and testicular pain
- Other non-surgical areas of treatment options:
- Interstitial cystitis, pelvic organ prolapsed disorders
- Painful coccyx (tailbone)
- Cesarean and episiotomy pain and tissue-related symptoms, back and pelvic pain during and after pregnancy, high risk pregnancy-related disorders
Irritable bowel syndrome, chronic constipation, bowel and bladder incontinence
Gender Health Specialty Team Members:
- Katie Garcia, DPT– Team Leader
- Cristie Anderson, MSPT
- Jennifer McCann-Bauer, MSPT
- Tracy Lee, MSPT
- Holly Lookabaugh-Deur, PT, DSc, GCS, CWS
- 30-50% of men experience prostate/testicular-related pain, urinary incontinence related to prostatectomy or other related dysfunctions.
- Back pain is reported by 50-70% of pregnant women and the prevalence of back pain 12 or more months after delivery is up to 70%.
- Pelvic pain and dysfunction post-partum is reported by 45% of mothers.
Men & Women (no age limits):
- 33 million suffer from overactive bladder and 12 million of those suffer from urge urinary incontinence.
- 15 million suffer from stress urinary incontinence.
- 90% of these sufferers can benefit from or resolve their symptoms through physical therapy!
For additional information and resources regarding Gender Health, check out the following websites:
www.niddk.hih.gov (national kidney and urologic diseases site
www.acog.org (American college of obstetrician and gynecologists
www.pelvicpain.org international pelvic pain society
www.ichhelp.org (interstitial cystitis association
www.ibsassociation.org (irritable bowel association)
www.prostatitis.org (prostatitis association)